The Basel Convention and Rio plus 20
Dr. Katharina Kummer Peiry, Senior Advisor, International Environmental Technology Centre (IETC) of the United Environment Programme (UNEP) and Former Executive Secretary of the Secretariat of the Basel Convention and Prof. Andreas R. Ziegler, Holder of the Chair in International Law at the Law Faculty of the University of Lausanne, are organizing a Symposium in the afternoon of Wednesday 9 May 2012 in preparation of the Rio plus 20 Summit entitled "The Basel Convention and Rio plus 20: Waste Recycling and Recovery as a Pilot Area for Achieving a Green Economy?" The Symposium will be opened by a short introduction at 13:15.
Mercredi 9 mai 2012 (13h15 - 17h00) - Génopode UNIL - Sorge - BS'inscrire du 4 avril 2012 au 2 mai 2012
- 13:15 Welcome by Prof. Andreas R. Ziegler, University of Lausanne
- 13:30 Dr. Juliette Voïnov Kohler, Legal Officer, Secretariat of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions / Lecturer, University of Lausanne: The Basel Convention and its 10th Conference of the Parties - "The Miracle of Cartagena"
- 14:00 H.E. Ms. Alicia Arango Olmos, Ambassador, Permanent Mission of Colombia to the United Nations in Geneva, Presidency of the 10th Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention (invited): The "Basel Paradigm Shift": Prevention, Minimization and Recovery of Wastes
- 14:30 Mr. Salman Bal, Counsellor, Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the UN, Presidency of the 11th Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention: A Package Deal - the Ban Amendment and a Framework for Environmentally Sound Recycling and Resource Recovery
- 15:00 Coffee Break
- 15:30 Dr. Steven Stone, Chief, UNEP Economics and Trade Branch: The Concept of a Green Economy
- 16:00 Mr. Mark Halle, Director, Trade and Investment, IISD: Will Rio plus 20 Green the Economy?
- 16:30 Q & A / Discussion with all speakers. Moderator: Prof. Andreas Ziegler, University of Lausanne
- 17:00 End
The Symposium will be followed by a Keynote Lecture by Dr. Katharina Kummer Peiry, Senior Advisor, International Environmental Technology Centre (UNEP) and Former Executive Secretary of the Secretariat of the Basel Convention at 17:15 entitled: "From Cartagena to Rio - Waste as a Valuable Resource"
Participation in both events is free but interested participants are kindly requested to register for the symposium by electronic mail (E: firstname.lastname@example.org) before 2 May 2012 also in order to obtain details regarding the venue and the organisation.
This event is supported by the Academic Platform Switzerland UN and the Swiss Branch of the international Law Association.
Andreas R. Ziegler